CSX Environmental Performance Recognition
Year on year, CSX continues to earn a spot on some of the most prestigious environmental indices for corporations. In the past year, the company’s environmental recognitions have included:
- In September of 2013, CSX earned a spot on the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for North America for the third consecutive year. CSX is among three transportation companies listed for leadership in sustainable business practices. The DJSI evaluates corporate economic, environmental and social performance. The DJSI is a partnership between the Dow Jones Indexes and RobecoSAM Sustainability Assessments. CSX was also included in the 2014 edition of RobecoSAM’s The Sustainability Yearbook, which highlights the top 15% of companies per industry in terms of sustainability performance.
- CSX achieved a position on the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) Supplier Climate Performance Leadership Index for environmental stewardship in 2013. The honor recognized the company’s commitment to helping its customers make informed transportation decisions that reduce carbon emissions and meet their sustainability goals. In the past year, CSX was also named to the CDP Global 500 Carbon Performance Leadership Index and CDP S&P 500 Carbon Performance Leadership Index.
- CSX was listed on the Maplecroft Climate Innovation Leader Index, one of three Maplecroft Climate Innovation Indices that rank U.S. companies on their leadership in climate change mitigation and management. In the most recent version of the Index released in 2012, CSX was the highest-ranked Class I railroad included on the index and the only railroad featured on the top 100 Climate Innovation Leaders list.
- CSX’s environmental leadership is also demonstrated by our employees; in 2013, two CSX employees were recognized with industry environmental awards. The Association of American Railroads bestowed both the honors of the John H. Chafee Environmental Excellence Award and the 2013 North American Environmental Employee Excellence Award upon CSX employees.
- Trucost recognized CSX in its Natural Capital Leaders Index for our leadership in building a more sustainable business model and decoupling growth from environmental impact.
- In 2013, our corporate headquarters obtained Leadership in Energy & Environment Design (LEED) certification. CSX met the rigorous requirements of LEED’s Existing Buildings Operations and Maintenance rating system through improvements to management systems, energy efficiency retrofits, and water conservation measures.
- For the past two years, CSX was recognized by the JEA Industrial Pretreatment Group, a community-owned utility in Jacksonville, FL, for the outstanding environmental performance of our facilities that 100% industrial pretreatment compliance. Additionally, we received local recognition for our two-year remediation project restoring the ecosystem of a former wood treatment site in Gautier, MS. The Phoenix Awards Institute awarded CSX the annual Phoenix Award for sustainable brownfield redevelopment.